The main attribute tracked in the MIRECS is Michigan eligibility and all Credits in this Registry will be associated with a project that is approved with MI eligibility.
In summary, Credits will indicate MI eligibility under PA 295 (Clean, Renewable and Efficient Energy Act), but Credits may also be eligible for voluntary programs such as Green-e Energy, Low Impact Hydropower Institute, and the Utility Green Pricing Program. Please note, these voluntary eligibilities are not authenticated in the Registry and each applicable program would certify this project's eligibility outside of the MIRECS (although these programs do require the approval of the project in a certified renewable energy tracking system). For instance, Credits in MIRECS may be eligible for Green-E, but that eligibility is authenticated by CRS.
On a related note, there are several types of Credits tracked in the MIRECS, including:
- Renewable Energy Credits (RECs)
- Traditional Credits created for MWh of generation from a certified Michigan renewable energy generator.
- Incentive Credits (IRECs)
- The MIRECS issues IRECs pursuant to Michigan Public Act 295 of 2008 Section 39 (2) (c), MCL 460.1039 (2) (c).
- These IRECs are issued separately from traditional RECs and are based on inputs such as: fuel type, Michigan labor/equipment, On-Peak Generation, Ect.
- Energy Waste Reduction (EWR) Credits:
- Issued based on either electric or gas savings
- An EWR Project is certified pursuant to Section 87 of the PA 342 (Amendment to the original Act.)
The unit of measure will be “MCF” for Gas EWR data and “MWh”, for Electric EWR data.